The first purpose-built petrol service station in Edinburgh was erected in 1922 by the Peebles Motor Co. Ltd. at their site in Russell Road and naturally attracted much favourable publicity at the time since this was a great advance on the tedious alternative of filling from two-gallon tins. A Sumbeam tourer registered as SG ??23 fuels up from the bowser which took its name from S.F. Bowser and Co. who introduced the petrol pump into Britain in 1913.
These images are available for commercial use. Please use the form below to contact us for a price