Site of 1st Orkney ‘airport’ at Wideford not far from present Kirkwall airport. The pilot here is Johnnie Rae and in the background can be seen Wideford farm house. Also just visible in the centre background is an aviation fuel refuelling pump. This particular aircraft was G-ADCT and called ‘Orcadian’ and owned by Highland Airways. Taken August 1935. Allied Airways started a route between Aberdeen and Stromness in competition with Highland Airways to Kirkwall.
These images are not available for commercial use. Contact us for a price